Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Snip! Snip!

Oh, snap! It's snippet time!

Image result for snippet time meme
Via Google

For anyone who can't guess, this post is nothing more than bits and pieces from a WIP. Today's subject is The Kingdom of Fire and Ice. Let's get this party started!

The spotted cat meowed in response, and Aurelia shook her head. “No, you’re wrong. It must have been when we were getting those herbs.”
I frowned. Who was this Aravis she kept bringing up? And why did she seem to only speak to her?
Aurelia took the tankard from me. From her shoulder, the cat leaned forward and sniffed it. Then it mewed loudly, as if in triumph.
“Fine!” Aurelia snapped. “I lost it when I tried to reach the time of King Jakob VII. Must you be right about everything?”
The cat only purred.
She sighed. “Of course, you must, Aravis. You’re a cat.”
The cat was named Aravis. As I realized that, my frustration cleared. The tankard did belong to Aurelia, and Aravis was the cat. Now only one mystery remained. Would Ciara pay me?

The tavern keeper’s mouth dropped. “The thoroughbred stallion given to you by Lord Huntinburg? That Ross?”
“Yes, that Ross.”
“Do you still have his papers?”
“In my pack.”
I frowned slightly to myself. How had Aleksander gotten such a fine horse? I remembered he’d said Ross was a reward for loyal service, but what service was worth such a valuable horse?
Meanwhile, the tavern keeper kept talking. “Then forget the gold. Ross will get you the boat.”
“Good. Let’s go then,” Aleksander said, standing up.
“Why go anywhere?” the older man asked and pointed across the room. “The owner of the boat you want is right over there.”
I followed his hand to a middle-aged woman sitting in the corner. She clutched a tankard as if it was the only thing keeping her alive.
“Go talk to her,” the tavern keeper said, collecting our empty cups. “Just be careful. She doesn’t need any more grief.”
As he walked back to the bar, I glanced at Aleksander. “Are we going?”
“Yeah,” he said, nodding. “But listen to what he said about being careful.”

Behind me, I heard an order. “Archers, load.”
My panic turned to fear, and I pushed myself harder. They had archers! Father would have ordered them to retrieve me at all costs. I had to get away.
“Fire!”
Through our pounding feet, I heard the hiss of flying arrows. A moment later, they were all around us. I felt one whiz by my ear but kept running. In the snow ahead of me, another arrow buried itself. I dodged it, still running.
Besides me, Aleksander dodged his own arrow. Suddenly, no more fell, and for a second, I thought we were free. But I was wrong; the arrows were only the beginning. Armor clanged rapidly. A glance behind told me it was foot soldiers. Swords drawn, they chased us.
“Aleksander!”
“I see them!”
“They’re gaining!”
“Just keep running! We have to make it to the Kingdom!”


And that's it!
RhoXie

No comments:

Post a Comment